Sunday, July 4, 2010

Arizona Celebration of Freedom


The inaugural event was held Fri and Sat and made me feel proud to be a part of Mesa. The event has a real home town feel with Main Street closed and people milling around checking out motorcycles on Friday night, and classic cars on Saturday evening. There we history lessons, water slides, watermelon eating contest, patriotic tributes and fireworks, of course.

This is event is going to be held every year the weekend before the Fourth of July. If you made it out and think there was something missing, let us know. If you didn't I am not sure how to relay how different this event is then any other Fourth of July celebration I have been to in Arizona. Having grown up a few decades ago I can tell you that it felt like things used to feel.... a community celebration. Community is hard to find these days and I think Downtown Mesa hit the nail on the head these past two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment